Sunday 31 January 2016

The 'Post-Office' Movement - More Than Just 'Working from Home'



The beauty of working from home is that I don't have to worry about getting up in the morning.

Now. You may be thinking that I am the laziest person in the world for making that statement, but it's not what you think.

Mondays Never Felt So Good!

I get up early in the morning to go rowing, and I am back home, showered and ready to work at the same time that most people arrive at the office. The only thing that's different is that I don't worry about getting up in the morning. I look forward to it! I love rowing, which kick-starts my day, and I really enjoy building up my small business.

If I work late into the night, I still wake up early and energised, full of enthusiasm the next morning because I love what i do and where I do it!

Travaille Sans Frontières (Work Without Borders)

The other great thing about working from home is that I can actually work from anywhere! I can work in any room of the house, or I can go rogue and work from a café, library, or anywhere that will have me! Before I moved from Warwick, a friend let me use one of the empty rooms in his office building in Leamington Spa whenever I needed a change of scenery. It was great!

'Post-Office'... Not a Post Office

There's a hilarious sketch on the Tracey Ullman show about this guy, an app developer, and he works from his local coffeeshop - although you'd think he owned the joint from the way he tries to monopolise the space and the staff! He has regular meetings in the coffeeshop where he pitches potential investors. In one of the sketches he says that he's 'Post-Office', which is quite confusing, seeing as his app has nothing to do with snail mail. When he's met with a bemused look from the potential investor, he clarifies that he is not a Post Office, but he's not confined to an office, therefore he is 'Post Office'.

I doubt this phrase will take off, but it is a good way of describing the situation for many people who say they work from home, but actually work from anywhere.

An Office Away From the Office...?

One of the main reasons that people like working from home is that it's different to working in an office. Yet they set up their home office to look exactly like the cubicle they were fleeing in the first place! Why create an office away from the office? The beauty of working from home is that you can work differently. I have a desk, but I rarely use it. My stationery, printer and files are in different places throughout my home, so it encourages me to walk about, and be spontaneous! I'm essentially hot-desking in my own home! I produce so much more now than I did when I used to spend 10 hours in an office everyday; because I am free to move around without worrying what my colleagues will think when they see me away from my desk so often; because I can have a two-hour lunch break when I feel like it; because I don't have to be political when I all I want is to do a great job.

Distraction Central

Dealing with distractions and interruptions is a problem whether you work from home or in an office. The way I deal with them at home is not for everyone.

I don't watch TV

In fact, I don't have a TV. I watch catch-up TV online if I hear about a great show that I want to check out. That way I am still completely in control of my time.

I say no to invitations

I am quite rigid about my time. If I already have plans, I am not changing them for anyone. If I have a goal that I want to achieve for that day, or that hour, then nothing will get in my way. But if I am available, I will only give my time to things that I am whole-heartedly interested in. Time is precious and I will not let anyone waste mine.

I put my phone on silent when I don't want to be disturbed

I will check my voicemails, emails and text messages at set times.

Make Yourself At Home

It's a fact well documented that many tech companies have great offices with slides, playrooms and nap-pods (which remind me of my days at Primary School). They're nothing like traditional offices. They make you feel comfortable, relaxed and 'at home'.

The new way of working is pretty much trying to recreate the home and leisure environment. So, embrace your home-working environment, and make yourself at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment