Sunday 24 January 2016

How I got more hits on my blog



These three simple steps are my personal account of trial and error. Enjoy!

  1. Twitter analytics  I practically live on twitter and I tweet regularly about my blog posts. But when I was getting started with my blog, just tweeting alone was not translating into the number of hits that I wanted. Using twitter analytics, I noticed that although my number of twitter followers was only growing relatively gradually, I was actually getting a high number of profile views per day. I wanted to capitalise on that, so I designed a really simple banner for my twitter profile, which showcased my blog url as the heading. Bingo! My hits went up substantially from day one! And even on days that I don't post any new content, I'm getting a steady (and increasing) flow of visitors to my blog, thanks to my profile views on twitter.
  2. Google plus  It doesn't have the image enjoyed by twitter and Facebook, but it is a useful tool none the less! When I set up my blog on Google blogger, I also set up a gmail account, and Google+ seemed to come as part of the package. So, I tailored my Google profile and promptly forgot all about it. After a couple of months, however, I checked on my profile and found that I'd had thousands of hits! This was an unexpected result with practically zero effort! So, I started sharing my blog posts via G+ and found that it was generating consistent views, although not yet on par with those from twitter.
  3. Networking  I am quite a sociable person and I have built up a professional network using old-fashioned face-to-face methods. I tell people what I'm working on and I share it with them. If they like it, they share it with their contacts. That way, they know the story behind who I am and what I do, and they buy into that story. The value of real-world interactions and connections cannot be underestimated.
This is of course not an exhaustive list, and what it reveals is that you should use your strengths to your advantage. Keep an eye on the data and work with it to grow your brand!

No comments:

Post a Comment