Saturday 30 January 2016

One Way Conversation? 8 Types of Twitter DM's Reviewed



When I follow some accounts on twitter, I often receive a Direct Message (DM) shortly afterwards. The messages I've received so far fall into one (or more) of the following categories:
  1. Hello and thank you for following
  2. Check out our website
  3. Check out our app
  4. Please answer this quick question
  5. Feel free to connect
  6. Check out my Facebook page / LinkedIn profile / other Social Media Profile
  7. Invitation to collaborate
  8. Motivational quote
Sometimes the sender makes it clear that the message is automated, other times it's a bit ambiguous, but sometimes the message has a distinctly personal touch and invites interaction.

But what is the etiquette regarding DM's? Or is there any?

For any brands out there who would like to improve their interaction with followers, here's a brief insight (for what it's worth) into how I deal with DM's.

1. Hello and thank you for following


I assume that it's an automated message and move on with my day. It doesn't leave a lasting impression.

2. Check out our website


Sometimes I click on the link, sometimes I don't. I also assume that these types of DM's are automated.

3. Check out our app


Again, I assume that the DM is automated. I usually click on the link and decide whether or not I need it in my life. The chances are, I followed you because your app sounds interesting, and I may have already clicked your link; so I will pay more attention to the DM in that case.

4. Please answer this quick question


I may or may not respond to these DM's. These ones tend to be worded in a way that is quite ambiguous in terms of whether or not they are automated or human. If I do respond, I will probably ask a relevant question of my own and await an answer. I do this partly to understand how much importance the brand places on engagement. If they respond, I don't know what I will do because this is yet to happen...

5. Feel free to connect


I assume that these are automated. Thoughtful, and good to know. Thanks.

6. Check out my Facebook page / LinkedIn profile / other Social Media Profile


Automated. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

7. Invitation to collaborate


These tend to have a specific call to action, and I assume that they are automated. Sometimes they are clearly personalised, and I will investigate further / respond.

8. Motivational quote


Please and thank you. I will motivate right back!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it


So, that was a small (and probably useless) insight into my DM experiences. If you have any questions, ask away! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment