Friday 13 November 2015

Why Your Twitter Campaign is Missing the Mark



Is it just me, or does anyone else get seemingly random and irrelevant suggestions from twitter about which accounts to follow? Within the last couple of weeks 'Slim Fast' has popped up as a suggestion and I couldn't figure out why at first. I don't tweet about diet, weight-loss or anything like that, so that set the little cogs in my brain turning.



Initially I thought that maybe twitter was gender profiling me. If I believe the media, we women are always on diets and worrying about our weight. But surely the twitter algorithms are more sophisticated than that? So, I dug a little deeper.

When I looked back at my tweets, I could see that I had mentioned the word 'weights' a few times because I lift weights and tweet about it. Bingo! But therein lies the problem. Weight lifting is different to weight loss. It might not sound like a big deal that I'm getting recommendations to follow Slim Fast. I can just ignore them right? Yes, of course I can, and I will; however, there is a wider point that social media marketers should note.

If I am getting targeted suggestions based on misinterpreted data, what other messages are missing the mark?


Another example of a badly targeted twitter interaction was when I tweeted about Stratford upon Avon, someone added me to a list of Avon cosmetics representatives...

Beware of double meanings and mixed messages.


No comments:

Post a Comment